Monday, February 17, 2014

Favorite Books of 2013

I have always been a bookworm. My parents used to have to pry the latest Baby-Sitters Club book out of my hand so I could actually eat my dinner, and reading has always been one of my favorite things to do. 

For the past few years, I've been keeping track of books that I've read (or want to read) on Goodreads, and setting a yearly challenge for myself. For 2013, I challenged myself to read 30 books, and actually ended up reading 37. As I was looking back over the list of those that I read, I thought I'd share my favorites with you. 
Humans of New York, by Brandon Stanton
I happened upon Brandon's blog several months ago, and I look forward to seeing his daily portraits. This book is a collection of those portraits, which means that it's a quick "read" (I spent about an hour from cover to cover), but it's so beautiful and insightful. Brandon manages to capture the essence of these people, from newborn to 99. I laughed out loud and was extremely moved, and numerous photos required a lengthy second look. I borrowed it from the library, but it would make an excellent coffee table book and conversation starter.

Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell
Rainbow Rowell certainly became one of my favorite authors this year, and Fangirl just might be my very favorite book that I read this year.  It was such a relatable, moving portrait of the first year of college and everything that comes along with it. Cath is an introvert with a love of writing fan fiction, a dad she feels guilty leaving at home, and a twin sister that is ready to shed her family baggage and have a new identity. Her quiet strength and growth over the course of her freshman year is lovely to watch, and I ended the book very hopeful for her future.

Unbroken, by Lauren Hillenbrand
I read this for my book club, and while it is definitely not my typical genre, I absolutely adored it. It follows Air Force bomber Louis Zamperini as he survives the unbelievable during and after World War II. While difficult to get through at several points, this book is incredible. I absolutely love Louie, and his story is inspiring and unforgettable.

The Husband's Secret, by Liane Moriarty
While clearly a lighter type of read, for me, this book had it all - fully drawn primary & secondary characters that are vulnerable & likeable, a well-timed plot that made it difficult to put down, and a well written and satisfying conclusion. Moriarty knows how to write a good story and give the characters an ending that they deserve. It isn't a deep, life-changing story, but I was left feeling like I'd watched a full series of a beloved TV show.

Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell
My first Rainbow Rowell book, and such a fantastic read! I listened to this as an audio book, so Eleanor & Park were my constant companions for a week and a half. More than once, I found myself lingering in the car just to hear a little more. This book is a beautiful, spot on portrait of falling in love for the first time and feeling not so alone as an awkward teenager. Eleanor and Park were extremely well drawn, as were the secondary characters (I loved Park's parents). Highly recommend, especially as an audio book - it's read by two different people, and I think the male & female voices made it more special.

The Silver Linings Playbook, by Matthew Quick
I saw the movie first, but I think it helped me enjoy the book even more. Pat was so optimistic despite everything he had been through, and I really found myself rooting for him. The takeaway is that it's never too late for a new beginning, and (not surprisingly) there really always is a silver lining. 

What books have you enjoyed recently? Though my to-read list is a mile long, I'm always looking for recommendations. 

2 comments:

ashleyTIA said...

I will forever be thankful for your recommendation of Fangirl. It was so good! : )

Unknown said...

I just added Fangirl to my goodreads list! I'm almost halfway through Unbroken and can already tell what a special story it is going to be. I recently read a memoir called Maman's Homesick Pie that I loved and bought a copy last week to send to my mom.