Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Rainy Day, Don't Go Away

The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain.  
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Dreary, cold, and rainy days rank among my favorites. Though I admit it's harder to get out of bed on a rainy morning, I delight in the coziness and freshness of a wet day. On this rainy, early fall day, I wanted to share a list of my favorite rainy day/fall activities. 
  • Paint my nails a bold shade - Current favorites are Butter London's Wallis and Bluey, and Essie's Power Clutch and Merino Cool. 
  • Make a big pot of soup - my mom's "famous" tortellini soup is easy and delicious. 
  • Wear a scarf - I recently picked up two adorable and affordable fall scarves from H&M. It's such an easy way to accessorize an outfit, as well as add a bit of warmth and coziness. Curious about different ways to wear a scarf? Check out this video
  • Curl up with a book - I'm currently reading State of Wonder by Anne Patchett. Recent favorites include Room, The Thirteenth Tale, Bossypants, The Help, The Happiness Project, and Freedom. 
  • Watch a favorite movie - Every fall, I love to watch Anne of Green Gables, You've Got Mail, When Harry Met Sally, and the TV show Felicity. 
  • Go for a walk - I always say "a rainy day isn't so bad if you have an umbrella". Grab a brightly colored umbrella and a pair of rain boots and go out for a stroll. You'll likely find the city a bit more deserted than it is normally, and you'll be able to breathe in that fresh air and find a new perspective. 
  • Make a mug of your favorite tea - I'm a chai girl myself, or herbal (I'm extremely sensitive to caffeine, so no chai after noon). There is something so soothing about starting or ending a day with a warm, steaming beverage. Whether it's a fancy loose leaf blend or a bag of Lipton, tea soothes the soul. 
  • Take yourself out for a solo lunch - I am one of those people who doesn't mind doing things by myself, and I love taking myself out to lunch every now and then. There is a Japanese restaurant near my office that offers a fantastic lunch special, and it's a real treat to eat miso soup while people watching or reading. 
  • Hunker down with your to-do list - While occasionally I lack motivation on a rainy day, it also can inspire me to plow through my to-do list at break neck speeds. I get the feeling it's a great day to settle in at my desk and begin plugging away at those pesky tasks that you've been putting off. 
  • Listen to some great tunes - It's no secret that I love Pandora, and some of my favorite rainy day stations are Mumford & Sons, Beirut, Yann Tierson (the magic behind the Amelie soundtrack) or Ingrid Michaelson. The right music choice can provide the perfect soundtrack for many of the above activities. 
Does anyone else share my love of gloomy days? What are your go-to activities?
 

4 comments:

ashleyTIA said...

I love rainy days (especially if there is a drive-through Starbucks close by). ;) Music is my favorite during these days. I agree with you on Beirut & will add St. Vincent and Laura Marling. :) Stay dry!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the music suggestions, Ashley! I'm listening to St. Vincent as we speak. So atmospheric, perfect for this afternoon.

Lauren Drugan said...

Rainy days, like today, set my heart right again. I love to curl up with a book and a blanket, take photographs of water droplets on my plants, and listen to jazz (Miles Davis and Scott Hamilton) or classical music.

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Thanks for the great reminder of all the cozy things to do on a rainy day - with the weather around here lately, I'd better get used to it!