Friday, August 12, 2011

Oh Happy Day


Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to
choose joy and keep choosing it every day.
-Henri Nouwen

Not every day can be a one with a star on the calendar, a celebration, or something to look forward to. But, it really does make a big difference to seek joy in the mundane, find the silver lining of a regular Tuesday. On Facebook, I regularly post "things I love about today", and I thought it would be a fun exercise for me to continue that here. I hope it encourages you to look at the world around you through a different lens. 

Printstagram
I am a huge fan of Instagram, since I love taking pictures & always have my iPhone handy, and I've captured some fantastic moments of the past few months through this popular photo app. But, as it can be with anything digital like this, what do you do with these photos aside from post them online? This week, I happened upon Prinstagram, a website that turns your lovely little digital pictures into something more tangible. For a very reasonable price, you can get a poster, mini-prints, stickers, or a mini-book with your favorite photos. I immediately ordered the mini-prints and can't wait for them to arrive! After they do, I may just have to try this gorgeous DIY project and turn them into wall art.  

Memoirs of a Geisha 
I'm a total bookworm, and always have a book on the go (and a queue at the ready for when I finish). Within the past few months, I've started a book club with some of my fantastic lady friends in the DC area. We've read a vast array of choices over the past 6 months, and our August book is Memoirs of a Geisha. This book has been on my list for years, after a dear friend recommended it to me. I am delighted by this book's beautiful language and compelling story. I'm only about 125 pages in, but am eager for more. "Yet somehow the thing that startled me most, after a week or two had passed, was that I had in fact survived. I remember one moment drying rice bowls in the kitchen, when all at once I felt so disoriented I had to stop what I was doing to stare for a long while at my hands, for I could scarcely understand that this person drying the bowls was actually me."

Striped t-shirts on the cheap
I am a bargain shopper through and through. My favorite places to buy clothes are Old Navy, Target, H&M, Filene's Basement, and my favorite consignment shop down the street. Right now, I'm having a slight obsession with stripes. I can't get enough striped shirts. A few months ago, I laughed at myself when I purchased 3 striped shirts while wearing a striped shirt. This past week, I was wandering blissfully through Target (my love of Target is a whole post in and of itself) when I happened upon the cutest striped scoop neck t-shirts for $5. I've worn both of them this week, and they are quickly becoming my new favorite. 

Other happy items of note: 
  • Fresh cherries
  • This beautiful blue nail polish
  • Afternoon frozen yogurt breaks with my co-workers
  • Returning to my yoga practice after being away far too long
What is making you happy this week? 

No comments: