Thursday, August 18, 2011

Balm To My Soul



I get by with a little help from my friends.
-John Lennon 

 Right now, I live about 350 miles from where I grew up, which is a small town where everybody knows everybody. I love living in the city, but I do miss being surrounded by love and familiarity. Luckily, those things are just a phone call away. 

I am very blessed with many wonderful friends in my life, but there is one particular girlfriend of mine that just "gets" me. Even though we only see each other once or twice a year, a visit or phone call with E is truly a balm to my soul. 

We are both busy people, and the opportunity to have a long phone conversation doesn't happen often. Last night, I was home after a long day of work, and I got a notification that E had posted something on Facebook. I decided to try giving her a call, since it seemed likely she could chat. Two and a half hours later, phone battery nearly depleted and face hurting from laughing & smiling, I hung up the phone with that gem of a friend.

Our conversation covered a lot of ground --  from the largest and most important things we're going through down to inside jokes and memories that make us crack up instantly. We reminisced about some of our favorite moments, we planned some fun events for my upcoming visits home, and we giggled over our love for the Baby-Sitters Club and Center Stage. 

In the midst of a busy week like this one, feeling connected like that was just the ticket. For an introvert like me, it's important to realize that reaching out is sometimes just as nourishing as reaching in. 

I hope you are all as blessed as I am to have someone like E in your life. 

(Image credit -Vanessa Van Meerhaeghe)

No comments: