Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Yin and Yang



"They'll be parties for hosting, marshmallows for toasting, and carolers out in the snow..."

In a lot of ways, this really is the most wonderful time of the year. There is the opportunity to gather together with our nearest & dearest, give thoughtful presents, and savor twinkle lights. My calendar is full of sparkly events where I'll be sipping eggnog and donning party dresses, but it teeters on overabundance. As wonderful as this time of year is, it can make me glad that January follows December -- a time for new beginnings, goal setting, and quinoa. 

After finishing those final to-dos at work and affixing that last bow, on Friday I head to Ohio for a week with my friends and family. Many traditions await: songs to be sung, hugs to be given and received, and I couldn't be more excited. But as it always is with my ever-present quest to stay in the moment, it's easy to worry about finances or calories or fitting in enough down time.

Last week, I spent an evening brainstorming my 2012 wishes & dreams. I just put pen to paper and allowed any thought that came into my head to be jotted down on the list. An ideal me emerged -- someone who wakes up an hour earlier, makes her bed every morning, goes to yoga weekly, and finds time for reading and regular phone calls with her best friends. Giving myself the opportunity to do that was incredibly therapeutic -- and doing so before turning the calendar to the new year was a fantastic way to clean the slate during this season of abundance. 

Now begins the challenge to enjoy these remaining December days -- slender bank account and endless cookies and all. There will be plenty of time for fresh starts, Monday mornings, and kale in just a few weeks. For now, huddling around the piano with my dearest friends and enjoying one more glass of prosecco sounds pretty darn good. 

Happy, happy holidays.

{Image via Pinterest}

1 comment:

vintch said...

i love the fresh start of a new year, and writing down very, very similar goals. you've painted such a lovely picture of the holidays in this post. happy to find your blog:)