Thursday, December 8, 2011

Shake It Up

Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment
is the only one you know you have for sure.
Oprah Winfrey

I love routines. Even when I was a child, vacations from school were difficult since they lacked that structure and schedule. Days spent organizing, crossing things off of lists, and then cocooning at home with a favorite TV show or book are my favorite. But, even for a type-A introvert like myself, change and shaking up your normal routine can do wonders for the soul. This week, I've had several occasions where life has been eager to show me this simple truth. 

On Tuesday, my beau and I went out for dinner. Sure, it was a Groupon dinner date, but I put on earrings and lipstick and was whisked away to a cozy little restaurant not far from my apartment. The decor was intimate and inviting --  simple flower arrangements in mason jars adorned the table, and ample candles flickered throughout the space. We savored a wonderful meal and even split dessert, and as we ambled out into the rainy streets afterward, I felt relaxed and blessed. All that on a random Tuesday evening! 

It was a simple pleasure: a meal shared together without sitting in front of the TV or thinking about washing the dishes, a time to pause mid-week and truly enjoy each other's company, and truly amazing gelato. And to think, I'd almost thought it was too much trouble to gussy up and head out to dinner. After work, I had a slight headache and thought how much easier it would be to just grab a burrito bowl from Chipotle and do the normal Tuesday routine. 

Tonight, I had a free evening and wanted to catch up on e-mail, blogs, and my book after a busy day at work. Instead of just hunkering down in my apartment, I decided to head to the coffee shop just a block from my building. That's where I sit now, drinking a hot chocolate and wondering why I don't do this more often. I'm the queen of making time for myself, but how often do I do something like this, where I am out enjoying the people, sights, and sounds of my neighborhood? I just may make this a weekly date with myself. 

In the midst of this yuletide season, when obligations, shopping lists, and expectations can dominate our lives, I'm going to try to connect with myself and others around me, and shake things up a little bit. 

What can you do to shake up your routine this week? 

{Image courtesy of Pinterest}

1 comment:

Tiera Kekaula said...

I'm the same way! I love having a routine and sticking to it... Even the order I do things in the shower stays the same, lol! I think I'm going to head to a coffee shop some time in the next week, too. Getting some work done or reading without being cooped up at home sounds nice. And, who knows, maybe I'll splurge and have the delicious banana bread at my local coffee shop while I'm at it :)