Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Smooth Sailing


  
As an introvert and self-described homebody, nothing makes me happier than when things are peaceful and I'm sailing on smooth waters. True, I did better than expected with all of the upheaval in July (moving into a new apartment, a week's vacation with 21 members of my family, and a hectic time at work), but right now, I'm happily reveling in the fact that things are calm

I've been filling my days with the things that make me happiest and because of this have been more rested, more productive, and more satisfied.

  • Curling up with a good book (right now I'm reading Rules of Civility, which has transported me to NYC in 1938) 
  • Savoring a mug of tea (Earl Grey is my favorite at the moment) 
  • Making the bed and putting away the dishes every morning (what can I say, I like things to be tidy!) 
  • Taking a walk after dinner at twilight in my new neighborhood
  • Planning a fall getaway for late September (Charlottesville!) 
  • Getting up a little earlier & taking time getting ready for work 
  • Battling my longer commute with fantastic audio books (I just finished Eleanor & Park... so good)
  • Curating a library wait list a mile long (the library is one block from my new apartment)
  • Unsubscribing from dozens of email lists so my inbox is less cluttered
  • Listening to great music while slogging through my to-do list at work (The Civil Wars, Sara Bareilles, Kodaline, Savoir Adore)

While I know this period of simplicity won't last forever (in fact, it might not even last past this weekend!) I'm going to do my best to create these restorative moments for myself even when chaos resumes.

1 comment:

ashleyTIA said...

From one homebody to another, this list is perfection. So glad you are enjoying audiobooks. I think there would be a lot less road rage if every tried it. : )