Monday, January 28, 2013

5 Star Books of 2012




Since joining Goodreads a few years ago, I've found it a fantastic way to organize what I've read & want to read, see what other friends are reading, and rate books once I've finished. Last year, I joined the Goodreads Challenge for the first time, with a goal of reading 25 books (I'd only read 14 the year before). I ended up reading 27, and upped my goal this year to 30. 

I went through my bookshelf and saw that there were 7 books from this past year that I'd rated 5 stars, and I thought I'd share them with you.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
After 2 girlfriends recommended this book to me, I downloaded it for my Kindle. Though it's technically young adult, this beautiful story is much more poignant to me now than if I'd read it as a teen. It follows two teenagers who meet at a cancer support group and the path their life takes in the months to follow. Certainly a tearjerker, but it doesn't stay with the stereotype you might be imagining. As an only child, the well drawn relationship between Hazel and her parents was one of my favorite parts of the book. 

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Thrillers aren't usually in my comfort zone, but I found myself flying through this exhilarating book I read for my book club. At one point, I texted a friend who had already finished because I was so anxious about it I didn't think I'd be able to continue. She advised me to push through, and I'm so glad I did. Though it doesn't have the most satisfying ending, this story following a couple after the wife's disappearance is a well-paced roller coaster ride. 

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain 
We follow Hadley, the first wife of Ernest Hemingway as she meets, marries, and moves with him to Paris during the 1920s. This book paints a stunning portrait of Paris and read like a memoir. I found myself really identifying with Hadley, even as she navigated grim waters. 

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker 
In this slightly sci-fi book, we follow Julia as she deals with normal adolescence against the backdrop of the earth's rotation slowing slightly each day. What I loved about this book was that it was a tremendously well written coming of age story, but also had a unique (and eerily believable) sci-fi storyline. This book is slow paced and beautifully written, and left me thinking about it long after I'd turned the last page.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed 
As an aforementioned "indoorsy" person, I was worried whether I'd grow bored or disinterested with Cheryl's adventures hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. On the contrary, I found this book a beautiful portrait of a woman in her 20s grieving her mother's death, with  easily readable vignettes of her time on the trail. It reminded me of a gritter Eat, Pray, Love without the "you need to find love to be fulfilled" aspect. 

The Stuff That Never Happened by Maddie Dawson 
Sometimes a quick chick-lit book comes along and becomes one of your favorite books of the year. I flew through this book in a matter of days, all the while wanting it never to end. It alternates between the 70s and the present, and the character development is so fantastic. We follow Annabelle and a heart-fluttering and believable love triangle with Jeremiah and Grant. 

Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
After reading Wild, I knew I also wanted to read this compilation of Cheryl Stayed's once anonymous advice columns for The Rumpus. What I didn't expect was to weep, be inspired, and want to keep this book by my nightstand forevermore. These advice columns are a beautiful portrait of a strong woman who has a lot of perspective to share.

What were some of your favorite books of the year?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Fault in Our Stars was fantastic. A standout from last year was a book of travel essays written by women, but I didn't read as much as I should have last year. My goal for this year is 26 and I'm well on my way.