Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Saying Goodbye to New


I've got to have that newness, all the time, even if that "new" item is just a variation of something that I've already got -- new purse, new nail polish, new book, new striped shirt, new lipstick. And sometimes, I really do need something new. But other (most) times, it's the euphoric feeling of obtaining something new that I'm after. "This is the perfect lipstick I've been searching for", "This dress will be perfect for that party on Saturday", "This really is the exact nude nail polish I've always been searching for". Earlier this spring, I wrote about being grateful for what I have, which certainly touched on material possessions, but I've been feeling a strong urging lately to appreciate the things I already own, and dig deeper into why I'm always wanting something more. 


This morning, I got up a little bit earlier than usual. I am a chronic snooze-button-aholic, but am trying to be better about not sleeping until the very-last-minute. Even getting up 20 minutes earlier meant I had a bit more time to get ready, and I actually ended up applying lipstick before I left the house, instead of in the car while in the midst of eating my granola bar breakfast (it's a sad state of affairs, friends). As I dug through my makeup in the bathroom, I happened upon a long-lost Revlon lip butter in Candy Apple. This was purchased almost a year ago and almost never worn -- it was one of the first brighter lip colors I'd purchased, and I declared it too orange or too bright after a swipe or two and threw it in my drawer with the rest of the rejects. This morning it became my new favorite, all without a trip to the drug store for a new shade.

What is it that forces us to want something new? For me, a lot of it boils down to vanity - I want to feel good and look good. You know that feeling when you are wearing a new dress or your favorite new shirt? THAT is the important part, the "feeling" or confidence, which can be replicated at any moment from the inside out, whether it's the first time something is worn or the 100th. I'm going to make a concerted effort to shop my closet, put together new outfits, embrace wearing "the same old thing", and focus on feeling good on the inside.

Not being able to focus on the present moment is another reason I tend to gravitate towards newness. Swinging by Ulta on my lunch break or running to Target during an unscheduled portion of the weekend can be an easy way to fill time, when there are so many things I could do instead. Making the decision to stay in the present moment and relish a little quiet time or silence may be the difficult decision, but it will be rewarding.

I'm also going to try to reflect on what I really need when I pop into the store for a little something new. None of these purchases are ever something that break the bank, but they only cause a few moments of happiness. I'm likely in need of a boost, but one that could be fulfilled in a better way: with a phone call to a friend, a walk outdoors taking pictures or just breathing in and out,  or making a list of 3 things I'm grateful for today.

While I don't want to completely cut out shopping (oh, the horrors!), being mindful and reflective is something I'm working to be more conscious of. Because even if I'm wearing my $5 striped t-shirt from Target that my friends have seen a million times, with chipped nail polish and the same old lip gloss as always, I am good enough. 


{Image via Pinterest}

No comments: